Wow, you may be thinking. Another home show. That’s pretty exciting. Then you stifle a yawn and go look at pictures of cats getting stuck.
Wait! The Capital Home Show, scheduled for Friday, Sept. 23 through Sunday, Sept. 25 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. (10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday) at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Va. is something special.
For one thing, we will be there (Booth 944). So will hundreds of other home improvement, decor and design companies from across the region. See the full exhibitor list.
Plan around your favorite football team’s schedule. Finally get those ideas for your house rolling. Text some friends and make a day of it at the Capital Home Show. Save $3 when you order tickets online now. And if you’re still not convinced, here are 10 reasons why the Capital Home Show is a big deal.
10 reasons to get excited about the Capital Home Show
1. Matt Muenster is in the house for three straight days. Who is Matt Muenster? He’s a licensed contractor, designer and star of Bath Crashers and BATHtastic! on the DIY Network. Matt will discuss his modern take on bathroom design on Friday at 6 p.m., Saturday at 5 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m.
If you’re worried he’ll be talking about nothing but high-end (and high-priced) design, don’t.”(I’m) tremendously frugal,” Matt told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. “I go to Marshall’s and start at the clearance area and work my way out.”
2. Get to know Evey Alvarez-Flores. Evey Alvarez-Flores of Evey’s Creations is a blogger, interior decorating consultant, painter, a do-it-yourself expert and a familiar face to HGTV viewers and DIY enthusiasts across the web.
Evey will close the show on Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. with her talk on how to DIY green.
3. Mina Fies may save you from a nightmare. Remodeling your home can be an amazing experience. It can also turn into a real pain in the…checkbook. Mina Fies, founder and CEO of Synergy Design and Construction, is a well-known home renovation expert and consultant who will speak on Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
Her topic? “How to avoid a remodeling nightmare.” Important stuff if you’re thinking about paying someone to put a sledgehammer through your living room wall.
4. Learn from HGTV House Counselor Laurie March. Laurie is an award-winning remodeler, designer and a regular presence on DIYNetwork, HGTVGardens and the Cooking Channel. She also used to serve as the mascot for the Baltimore Ravens. A former Poe? Rise and conquer, Laurie!
Laurie will talk about the do’s and don’ts of DIY on Friday at 4 p.m. and Saturday at noon.
5. Walk through the all-new design house. That’s right, there will be a 1,400-square foot design home inside the expo center at the event. A great way to see some of the latest in home construction, landscaping, kitchen and bath, painting, flooring, closets, furnishings and outdoor lighting in the field.
6. Get your hands dirty with IKEA. IKEA is sponsoring a series of “Make It, Take It” workshops. Hopefully this guy is the instructor:
7. Win some legit prizes. Would a $500 Home Depot gift card help with your renovation project? How about some autographed home design books? You could read them AND display them. We’re solving a lot of problems here, people.
The Read ‘Em and Renovate Challenge gives you a chance to win those great prizes. Enter online today and you may be able to put your winnings to work at the Capital Home Show.
8. Check out the Upcycle Challenge for inspiration. Local designers Glenna W. Martens, Pam Faulkner, Susan Bourassa, Pat Baldwin, Caroline Hart and Andrea L. Schwartz have been challenged to rejuvenate a “pre-loved” chair on a $50 budget. See their work. Consider how you can do the same.
9. You don’t have to miss any football. The University of Maryland football team has the weekend off. Virginia and Virginia Tech are both at home on Saturday, Sept. 24. The Redskins and Ravens are on the road on Sunday, Sept. 25 at 1 p.m. These are easy obstacles to work around. Missing football should not be a problem.
10. Oh, and we’ll be there. Take this opportunity to talk to a Long Fence & Home expert about roof replacement, heat mirror windows and other home improvement services. Contact us today if you can’t wait until Friday, Sept. 23. Otherwise, we’ll see you in Chantilly.